- About Us
- Online Pharmacy
- Contact Us
Ah, December, the month of celebrations for many cultures means the month of many unusual opportunities for pets to ingest things that they otherwise would not be exposed to. So in celebration of the month’s odd exposures, and the many calls that a veterinary office will get this month, we will start off with the most common phone call of all…….
(to the tune of “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer” with all apologies recognized in advance….)
“Kitty, she chomped upon it…
On its very pretty leaves,
Kitty ,she couldn’t leave it
And to the bed go off and sleep,
Kitty, she’s now a-barfin
All those little crimson leaves,
Kitty, she’s got me worried
‘bout what my credit limit is….?
Oh, Dear Doctor, can you say, is she gonna die?
Stupid Poinsettia Plant, why’d I have to buy…..you?”
The original poinsettia plants (euphorbia pulcherrima) were highly toxic, but nowadays, the plants are not very toxic due to the fact that they are now highly hybridized to produce consistent color or color patterns. Chewing on the plant’s leafs may cause some GI upset, meaning some vomiting and/or diarrhea, but now this plant is considered pretty low on the toxicity scale. In other words, Kitty is going to vomit (what else is new?) but she isnt going to die and your credit limit is safe.